Community-Based Organizations in Orientation
September 27, 2012
This webinar, a collaboration between the Cultural Orientation Resource Center and Southeast Asia Resource Action Center (SEARAC), features presenters from different ethnic and community groups that assist refugees with orientation and adjusting to life in the United States.
Each presenter discusses their organization's work, the way they identify community orientation needs, the topics they cover and the way in which they provide orientation, the strengths and challenges of their approach, and future directions and strategies. In addition, the COR Center shares findings on information community-based organizations provided about their orientation delivery in a recent online survey, and SEARAC speaks about the organization's technical assistance approach to support emerging ECBOs to develop strong service programs.
- Chum Awi, Pastor, Chin community, Lewisville, TX
- Colleen Mahar-Piersma, Associate Director, Cultural Orientation Resource Center, Center for Applied Linguistics
- Bhadra Rai, Bhutanese Family Cultural Orientation in Houston, Bhutanese Community of Houston
- Djimet Dogo, Africa House, Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO), Portland, OR
- Phuong M. Do, Director of Training and Technical Assistance, Southeast Asia Resource Action Center (SEARAC)
PDF of PowerPoint
Funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement, Administration for Children and Families, Department of Health and Human Services, Grant No. 90RB0037